Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kates Playground Pictu8res

Indochina 4 (05-09/12)

Nearly 2 months after my return to Mae Sot I take two days off work to go back to Laos, the last country that I had to return to visit in my mind of Indochina's French colonial times.

Ten o'clock bus to cross from west to east Thailand Udon Thani up, the regional capital has a hundred across the border, and another hour until Nong Khai and the Friendship Bridge which joins the two countries above the Mekong.

half way to Luang Prabang in fact, that I conclude that after a night in Vientiane.

two hours spent to complete the formalities of customs, and I finally crowd Lao soil. A multitude of rabateurs rushed upon me, but I expect other tourists turn up to share a taxi to the center. A Thai backpacker than thirty years leading his nose, and go. For 100 Baht (2 Euro) each of an old mercedes 60 years will lead us to safe harbor.

We decide to have breakfast and both do the same after a visit together.


His name is Guss (everyone has a "nick name" in Thailand), and sells hospital equipment in Bangkok. Towards

13h Guss leaves me to take a bus to Vang Vieng, where he will spend the night before joining Luang Prabang. Hello, we cross again definitely there.

Vientiane city has a certain charm, the buildings stand a man's height and despite the austerity of some official buildings, the general architecture is pleasant.


It feels like a familiar, and the smell of fresh bread help, we represent a nostalgic time forgets or young people dressed in colonial uniforms siroptaient a little yellow at the terrace of a coffee making facing the Mekong.


The sunset hues of rocks me dilluees and I prepare for my trip the next day I went to bed happy.

At 6:15 am I'm at the bus station, ready to face the 9 hours since I have left to travel up to Luang Prabang. I'm so excited decouvrire the idea to the city that everybody talks to me for so long and fascinating magnificient landscapes that we are experiencing, as minutes pass without my appercoive.


Here we are, it is 16.30. I walk around the center to find "The Guest House" woman he takes me and the streets are congested, as well as farangs else.

As I walk the streets which form the bulk of the city, I note that the buildings reflect the active protection of heritage. But I'm especially impressed by the number of young people to backpack. The city is literally invaded.


I finally found and look forward to a hot shower which I shall not fail to savor every drop.

- I'm afraid all of a sudden the last few weeks, my blog is more like a travel guide has an account of my volunteer service. Good for those that will help plannify their future discovery of Southeast Asia, and after all it is indeed part of what I saw here .. -

The same evening I came across Guss, with whom we dine in a typical restaurant. My dish is disappointing but I am delighted by his proposal to accompany him and Thai friends, until a few drops of water across the city.

The waterfall is beautiful, but too many people bathe and I decided to follow an arrow indicating a cave a little further. I spend a large hole in which I dare not turn his head and continues the path that climbs to the top of the hill. A dozen minutes later, a staircase "house" descends steeply to a familiar sound, the water pours in power.


down and I find myself alone in a sort of hamlet in the middle of the jungle, or water flows from all the vegetation. I thank the Lord for giving me this place decouvrire wonderful, my temper and remains motionless for some time.

Only the sound of water comes nourishment of my mind. I want to stay for centuries, but I feel that others are waiting for me.


Concluding a marathon stay, I take my last day to eat a good steak in a french cafe and finish my book in the garden of a charming hotel with a crumble creole, fingers feet fan, to the Mekong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment